Does your valentine have a sweet tooth? Then you’ll love this DIY tutorial! With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, there’s sure to be lots of baking of sweet treats happening in kitchens all across the country. Nothing says “I love you” more than delicious, homemade baked goods, so today we’re sharing a fun tutorial to add an extra special touch to your cupcakes or muffins. With craft stamps, all projects are possible!
So first of all, what supplies will you need to make your toppers? Here’s what we used:
- An assortment of pink, red, and patterned craft paper
- Valentine’s Day craft stamps
- Craft ink
- Lollipop sticks
- Double and single-sided tape
- Circle and flower-shaped paper punches
Once you’ve gathered your supplies, making your decorative cupcake toppers is easy! You could probably even make them while your cupcakes are baking in the oven, or ask for the kids help for a fun weekend project. Just follow these simple steps:
- Choose one of your Valentine’s Day craft stamps and add craft ink to the dye. Stamp the impression on a sheet of solid craft paper, re-inking with your craft ink each time you stamp. Leave enough space between each impression so you can use your paper punch to cut them out after. Be sure to consider the size paper punch you’re using and how big you want your toppers to be!
- Repeat step one with your other craft stamps, if you’re using more than one.
- Give the ink about 10 minutes to dry.
- Next, use your circular paper punch to cut out the stamped craft paper. You can choose to keep it nice and simple and leave your toppers as is, or you can use a larger paper punch to cut out a second layer to adhere the stamped paper to. We chose the layered look and if you do the same, use a larger, flower-shaped paper punch to cut out patterned pieces of craft paper. You want to make sure the patterned pieces are at least an inch and a half larger so it will peak out around the edges of the circular punches.
- After you’ve punched out all of your pieces, it’s time to adhere your cupcake toppers all together! Use your double-sided tape to adhere the flower-shaped and circular pieces together. Try your best to keep the circular, stamped piece of paper centered on your flower-shaped cut out. Use your single-sided tape to adhere your lollipop sticks to the back of the cut outs. Repeat these steps until all of your toppers are assembled!
- Finally, you’ll add your toppers to your cupcakes or muffins for a festive finishing touch!
One of the reasons we love these DIY cupcake toppers (other than the fact that they’re made with stamps!) is they’re easy enough they can be made in an afternoon. They also make a great after school or weekend crafts project to enjoy with the kids. If your children’s class is having a Valentine’s Day party or they’re asking for you to send in treats, this is a cute and easy way to make it festive and fun for the kids!
Whether your valentine is your significant other, your children, your Mom or anyone else you choose, we hope they love their sweet and festive treats! Happy Valentine’s Day to you and yours!